Monday, February 23, 2009

Music Worth Buying 10/23/09 Tom Petty

51xzp5ooyel_sl500_aa240_

Artist: Tom Petty 

Album: The Last DJ 

Worth Buying: Yes except for maybe one song

You will be interested in this album if you are a fan of: Great songwriting, American Rock'n'Roll, & Concept albums.

Tell me more: I can remember growing up that the only thing that came in close 2nd to being a musician was being a radio DJ. Of course this was back when Radio DJ's could program their own show, this was back when the music a DJ played was an extension of their personality.  A really great radio DJ knew the music, and was passionate about what they played. They would find creative ways to present the music with sets that introduced you to new music while giving you a new perspective on your old favorites. But this was before a few media giants started owning all the radio stations in America. Before Program Directors started creating nationwide playlists that homogenized music radio in America.

So I understood what Tom Petty was getting at when he released the title track of his CD "The Last DJ".

The problem for me though, was while I could appreciate what he was trying to say with the song, I just wasn't that into the song. 

So I didn't give it much notice. 

Bad mistake on my part. 

The Last DJ puts up a mirror up to the some of the Darker aspects of current American Pop Culture (some of which I have talked about in my mailing list). The cult of celebrity, our worship of fame over talent. And while money and art have always been at odds with each other, with songs like "Joe" and "Money Becomes King", Tom Petty comes to the sad realization that Money has indeed won

my name's Joe I 'm the ceo
yeah, I 'm the man
makes the big wheels roll
I 'm the hand on
the green light switch
you get to be famous
I get to be rich

go get me a kid
with a good-looking face
bring me a kid
can remember his place
some hungry poet
son of a bitch
he gets to be famous I get to be rich

or bring me a girl
they're always the best
you put 'em on stage
and you have 'em undress
some angel whore
who can learn a guitar lick
hey, that's what I call music

But of course all phases of society are temporal. And nowhere on this album is that better stated in the song Can't Stop The Sun 

Well you may take my money
You may turn off my microphone
But you can't steal
What you can't feel
Can't stop the sun from shining
Down and down and down
And you may think you control things
But there'll be more just like me
Who won't give in
Who'll rise again
Can't stop the world from turning
'Round and 'round and 'round

Hey mister business man
Be sure to wash your hands
Be careful where you stand
'Cause life goes on and on and on

And you may think it's all over
But there'll be more just like me
Who won't give in
Who'll rise again
Can't stop a man from dreaming

This album came out in 2002 (And I am sorry I didn't catch up to it till now), but it's commentary is still (sadly) relevant. But all commentary aside. The Last DJ is an empowering album with songs to give you hope that things will change. 


What If I am not ready to buy the whole album? Try Money Becomes King or Can't Stop The Sun


What about the packaging? The CD comes in a beautiful three fold gateway digipak with a lyrics booklet 



Get the Last DJ in mp3 format here

Get the enhanced CD version here

No comments:

Post a Comment