Thursday, September 15, 2011

CD Review - Brian Setzer - Setzer Goes Instru-Mental

Artist: Brian Setzer

Album: Setzer Goes Instru-Mental

You might be interested in this album if you are a fan of: Brian Setzer, Instrumental music, jazz and bluegrass.

Worth Buying? Only two tracks



Tell Me More: When I first heard that Brian Setzer’s next album would be entirely instrumental I was more than just intrigued….In my opinion, Brian Setzer is one of the most under rated musicians working today.


So many people just pigeon hole him as a Rockabilly Guitarist, but he is so much more than this. His last (solo) album “13” had him careening though Zeppelin style riffs as easily as his signature rock, blues, and country licks. It was one of my favorite albums of 2006 and it also featured some of his best songwriting. His last album with the Brian Setzer Orchestra; the conceptual “Songs from the Lonely Ave”(2009) had him writing some of the most complex musical arrangements of his career.

So when I heard that his latest album was going to be all instrumental I was excited to find out what kind of sonic landscapes he was going to paint.  I was excited to hear how far he was going to stretch as a musician and composer

Maybe my expectations where too high; Because Instrumental was a disappointment for me.

This is not a bad or awful album, and there is anything wrong with his playing either. His playing is spot on, solid and professional. But I am just not feeling too much passion in these tracks. Blue Moon of Kentucky starts of well but then just slides into the background for me. There is some dazzling fretwork on Cherokee, but I still find myself feeling like something is missing. all the rest of the tracks seem to follow this trend. notable tracks like Go Go Godzilla, and Far Noir East, momentarily bring the album to life but too many of the tracks feel pedestrian and utilitarian. These are not the kinds of words that I like to use when talking about anyone’s music.

If you are a Setzer completist, you will probably want to get this one. But otherwise, I (sadly) can’t recommend this one. But go out and buy 13 and or Songs From the Lonely Ave if you haven't yet.




What about the packaging: The album comes in a digipak that is graphically nicely designed and there is an 8 panel insert with liner notes (There of course can't be a lyrics sheet for obvious reasons).

TJR

Find Setzer Goes Instru-Mental here






No comments:

Post a Comment